Have you seen http://newstimeline.googlelabs.com/

One thing Google certainly does well is "SEARCH"...
Imagine redesigning the assignment asking student to compare and contrast news articles written 100 years apart.
I tried a few topics today (gay marriage,  women+vote)  and got lost reading and comparing articles written in several time periods
I didn't realize Mark Twain was such a strong advocate for women getting the right to vote, and what a delight discovering this from turn of the century news articles

BTW... if you know anyone who would really enjoy exploring how how to explore and exploit these types of tools for teaching and learning  today's students, I'd love to work with them this summer in my course
TEACHING THE GOOGLE GENERATION
St. Albans City School w/ Lucie deLaBruere, Google Certified Educator - August 10-14
Register: http://cvedc.champlain.edu/event.view.php?vid=1237906525

Learn how to use the extensive suite of free Google Tools in your Classroom to support 21st century learning. Gain access to hundreds of resources and lesson plans from Google Teachers Academy. Tools such as Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Docs, Google Video, Google Sites, Custom Search Engine, Google Reader, and more are changing the way today's students learn. Use them to change the way you teach and the learning culture in your classroom.

--
Lucie deLaBruere
www.LearningWithLucie.com

http://twitter.com/techsavvygirl