David

My personal feeling is that although it is now "test" time for the
patient, society/technology has moved in a rapid direction. With that
said, I am willing to tolerate the patient on the cell phone as long
as it doesn't interfere with the exam. A carotid exam is definately
out of the question. Any lower extremity exam I don't mind if they
talk. I do tell the patient however that it is normally during the
exam I explain to them the process, pathology, anatomy etc. And if
they are on the phone that will be impossible.
One thing I find hard to tolerate is a patient wanting to finish a
call before we start the exam. A couple of minutes I can understand
but longer than that is obviously not an emergent call.  Overall, I
have become more tolerant having an 8 and 6 year old. Mommy has to
call daddy sometimes with emergent calls I have to take during an exam
amdvi have never had a patient complain about that.  I usually explain
to them the vague nature of the call which normally leads to
interesting and empathetic conversations about their children and
grandchildren etc

Gotta run ...... Phone ringing ;)

Doug Marcum RDMS,RDCS,RVT(APS)
Advanced Ultrasound Consultants
Elite Solutions for Vein Therapy/ Insufficiency Scanning and On-Site
Education
P: 321.231.2191
F: 407-971-4775
www.advancedusconsultants.com
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:50 AM, "Williams, David M." <[log in to unmask]