When a cellular phone receives an SMS packet or is receiving an incoming call, it will frequently cause VERY loud "beep bu-deep beep beep" sounds in almost all types of speakers. This interference is usually not visible in waveforms, in my experience, but I wouldn't even allow a cell phone in an exam room. At all! Period!

I bet most of us have experienced this at least a few times.

At the very least, make sure the patient puts it in airline mode.

-Ron