I must have the politest patients in the US- oddly enough, I have never had the cell phone problem. But my big complaint is that our patients arrive 45 minutes early, sit staring at us until we're ready to take them into the room to do the exam, then decide they have to go to the bathroom!

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Doug
Marcum
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 12:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cell phone etiquette and u/s exams

David

My personal feeling is that although it is now "test" time for the
patient, society/technology has moved in a rapid direction. With that
said, I am willing to tolerate the patient on the cell phone as long
as it doesn't interfere with the exam. A carotid exam is definately
out of the question. Any lower extremity exam I don't mind if they
talk. I do tell the patient however that it is normally during the
exam I explain to them the process, pathology, anatomy etc. And if
they are on the phone that will be impossible.
One thing I find hard to tolerate is a patient wanting to finish a
call before we start the exam. A couple of minutes I can understand
but longer than that is obviously not an emergent call.  Overall, I
have become more tolerant having an 8 and 6 year old. Mommy has to
call daddy sometimes with emergent calls I have to take during an exam
amdvi have never had a patient complain about that.  I usually explain
to them the vague nature of the call which normally leads to
interesting and empathetic conversations about their children and
grandchildren etc

Gotta run ...... Phone ringing ;)

Doug Marcum RDMS,RDCS,RVT(APS)
Advanced Ultrasound Consultants
Elite Solutions for Vein Therapy/ Insufficiency Scanning and On-Site
Education
P: 321.231.2191
F: 407-971-4775
www.advancedusconsultants.com
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:50 AM, "Williams, David M." <[log in to unmask]