Sometimes comparing apples and oranges. Office based sonographers with a vascular surgeon will probably command a higher salary because of the 'added' value of reliable and accurate studies with which we base clinical decision making. Even higher on the value added scale is someone that can do a detailed reflux venous study in a vein practice. Translates into more $. Even higher yet are sonographers that can effectively do ultrasound guided vein interventions reliably. That is a significant value added and is rewarded with increased income. Higher skills , higher pay.
Seems like the American way. Makes sense to me!
John

On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Denise Levy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It all evens out. The cost of living in Northern California is outrageous, so up goes the hourly.
Some technologist work perdiem and have several places of work. You also have to figure benefits cost the hospitals and several groups have profit sharing.  All I know is I work very hard in the trenches and I am worth every penny, dollar, overtime and call.

Denise Levy
San Jose, CA

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM, JASON r <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
yep 90k in new york city is like 30k in florida.  Same with the Bay area in CA, 100k is like 50 in Fl. Its all relative, just depends on the number you want to hear not what you actually bring home.

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:16:24 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: poll: average salary
To: [log in to unmask]

75-90K???!!! Wow!
When I graduated, my peers and i were making about $23-27/hr starting.  In Dallas/Ft. worth area..
I work as an echo/vascular tech and have 4.5 yrs as RVT, (not registered in echo yet), and when i was looking for a job 1.5yrs ago, most people were reuluctant to pay more than $30/hr, so I guess about $60K to $65 is prob what the norm is here, base salary