From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kennedy, Joy
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Petty rant: online and print to institutional customers lagging behind

OK, OK, this is nothing new and has been going on for years.  Doctors in
my area (Chicago suburbs) typically get copies of their New England
Journal of Medicine and some other society journals much sooner than the
hospital receives its institutional subscription.  No, its not the
mailroom since we pick up our mail from the post office.  Doctors call
the hospital administrators to chat about some article in the latest
issue of NEJM.  Administrators call me for a copy.  It is Monday
afternoon and my April 9th issue won't come until later in the week and
my institutional site license which I paid big bucks for won't have the
issue online until it's release date.  Meanwhile I'm sitting here with
egg on my face looking like an idiot for paying so much for an
institutional subscription much less a site license.  Does this happen
to you or are docs in my area just lucky to get their copies so soon.

Ok, I've had my rant.  Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. I feel
better now.

Joy Kennedy, MLS
Health Resource Library
Northwest Community Hospital
800 W. Central Rd.
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-2392
Phone: 847-618-5180; Fax 847-618-5189
email: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any accompanying documents. Thank you.