On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

...a bunch of good things...

>> 3) Depth of field shots are hard as the camera likes to focus everything
>> in
>> the frame...you can't get that slightly blurred background that really
>> causes the subject matter to stand out.
>
> DOF isn't a function of the focusing system - it's controlled by aperture.
> Shoot in Aperture priority mode and use a low number, like F2.7. (Lower F
> stop number = shallower depth of field)

and sensor size, and focal length and lens-subject:subject-background
ratio.  I think the big killer on smaller cameras is the sensor size.
There's not a lot you can do about that if you're going for small form
factor.  Not to say that you can't get good bokeh with a smaller
camera, just that you've got to work harder with aperture values and
composition to get it.