Knock on wood, we have not run into this problem.
We are using Apple WAPs at most our sites. We use the Extreme Gs and Extreme Ns-the Gs we keep at firmware 5.5.1. We do try to keep the same model as much as possible for any one site.
We use the same SSID throughout the site and it is case sensitive. We also leave all the stations on automatic for frequency. We connect it to the LAN via one of the Ethernet ports-we do not use the WAN port.
Every WAP is also assigned a static IP address.

I would look to settings on the computers as to how they join a wireless network. Ours are on automatic-one exception being a scholl with several networks very close to the school.

jeff

I was going to post this question a few months ago but I never did. I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread:

We had a number of airport base stations with the same network name so students could roam the building without losing a connection. The problem we started having after three good years was a computer would for some reason choose a base station across the building instead of accessing the base station sitting right next to it. This problem grew and grew until I had to have unique names for all of the base stations. I would LOVE to go back to having one network name, but for some reason I don't think the apple base stations can handle the job - they either get confused, or the MacBook / iBook computers get confused. Any ideas? If it is replacing the airport base stations, that's fine. If it is replacing the computers, that is not fine.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Thompson
Technology Coordinator