>Hello all,
>
>My name is Will Hatch, writing from Vergennes Elementary School.  I am
>hoping to someday get a grip on all the wasteful printing that goes on
>here.  Is anybody using print management software?  I have a Windows
>network and am utilizing Active Directory somewhat.  Thanks for any
>suggestions. -Will

Milton just purchased Print Manager Plus.  We haven't deployed it yet, but
the demos were very convincing.  It uses print "balances" (like a copy
card) and "charges" you for each print job based on the type of printer,
number of pages, and type of printout.  You can configure alerts on the
printers for things like "Your print job is larger than 10 pages; this is
a deskjet printer and we recommend you use this laser printer instead."
You don't have to stop anyone from printing where they want, you can just
nag them with warning messages that they have to click OK on if they're
doing something you prefer they didn't.  Or you can just cancel their job
outright.  (Say, if they're printing 25 copies to a deskjet.)  It uses
"agents" (separately licensed) on computers that act as print servers if
you have the occasional deskjet in a classroom that runs outside of your
regular print server.

Melissa Hayden-Raley
IT Technician
Milton Town School District