From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bob Wickberg
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: conflicker ~ I caught it

There's a microsoft utility, delprof, that deletes entire profiles, which
would include temp internet files.   There's a command line switch that
allows you to delete only profiles not used in x days.  I have a script
set up to run whenever the library PCs are shut down, that deletes all
profiles not used in 30 days.  That way, if a student accidentally leaves
an important file in the my docs folder, they can go back and get it, for
a while.  But unused profiles are regularly deleted.  Running it at
shutdown assures that it will generally only run when no one cares how
long it takes to run.  It can take quite a while if there are lots of
profiles to clean up.

Obviously you don't want to take this approach on machines that kids are
supposed to be saving files on, but I assume this would only be servers.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418

>BJ:
>
>Nice website - good resources
>
>Now my question :
>
>After running deep scans in the library, I saw how long they took because
>of the thousands of files stored locally w/in each user's profile. Is
>there a utility or perhaps group policy which will force these temporary
>Internet files to be deleted ? I considered for a few nanoseconds of
>doing the cleanup myself, but then I thought again !
>
>Bill Clark
>Austine School
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------From:
>School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>On Behalf Of Eric Snay
>Sent: April 24, 2009 4:49 PM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: conflicker ~ I caught it
>

>Hey BJ -
>
>My heart goes out to you; hope you're able to get everything cleaned up.
>We're running Trend Officescan here as well, and so far (knock on wood) I
>haven't seen it.  Have you had a chance to invoke Trend's "outbreak
>control"?
>
>Keep us posted on your progress,
>
>ES
>

>Eric I Snay
>Technology Coordinator
>Fair Haven Union High School
>Fair Haven VT  05743
>t: 802.265.4966  f: 802.265.3602
>

>On 4/24/2009 at 4:05 PM, Bjorn Behrendt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>It seems to proprogate itself any means possible, I am guessing the
>network in my case.  Probably started from an infected usb key or email.
>

>I have Trend Microsystems which was up to date on most computers, but it
>didn't seem to help much beond reporting.   I also ran the network checks
>before March 31 and my network came back clear.
>

>I first noticed it when my main domain server was so taxed it stopped
>doing anything.  This server is also my AV server so I am guessing that
>once it sent out it's latest update, all 200 of the computers connected
>to it reported back saying exsessive vireses detected.
>

>I had to go old school to get rid of it.   I dissconected all my switches
>and have been one by one checking and patching the computers with a usb
>disk (using kk.exe and the 3 ms patches).   I created a blog post on [
>http://www.askbj.net ]http://www.askbj.net with links to the utilities I
>have been using.
>
>Bjorn Behrendt
>Proctor School District
>
>Bjorn Behrendt
>Proctor School District

6/5/2009This email may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If this email contains confidential and/or privileged health or student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA or HIPAA, federal regulations require that you destroy this email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.