As an amateur with a passing long ago acquaintance with anthropological
films on PNG, i recall massive but modestly armed confrontations in
which almost no one loses his life.  Then ever expanding tales of fierce
fighting and multiple deaths.  I am inclined to believe that the
arrogant Jared Diamond got suckered.  The telling of tall tales by
pre-modern people is apparently rather common.  The tales become more
elaborate the greater the listener's interest.  Such great, vivid and
captivating entertainment is poorly replaced today by tv.  Judging by
how Ronald Reagan's story telling was widely accepted as truth, i am not
surprised that J.D. got suckered.  Why can't these wonderfully creative
tellers of tall tales be included in such contests as the Pullitzer Prize.
In the interest of full disclosure, i have an animus toward J. D. based
on reading his creative writing.
herb