While doing a little trout fishing at South Pond in Marlboro on Sunday I enjoyed the good company of the three aforementioned species. Both the loon and the merganser were having good luck fishing. The loon caught one so big that it spent a considerable time dispatching the fish and getting it all down its gullet. I saw and heard the osprey several times as it flew from tree to tree around the lake. The last time I saw it I was close enough to observe that it was trailing about 6 or 8 feet of what appeared to be fishing line. The line had something attached at the end...perhaps a weight, a swivel, a twig,?or a weed. I'm afraid the osprey may be doomed if that line does not free itself. If it snags in a tree when the osprey takes flight that may be the end of it. I hope it gets lucky.
Charlie La Rosa
Brattleboro