Well....so much for grand notions of seeing a 'possible'  Snowy Egret.
On my way home from work I stopped by the stream crossing just south of
Cheese Factory Rd on Rt 116 (South Burlington).  There was a single
Egret fishing down stream of the beaver dam (my guess is it is probably
the 'small' bird I reported this morning (via Ken)).  The upper mandible
was partially dark but also partially yellow (overall it was darker than
any of the Great Egrets I have photographed elsewhere).  The lower
mandible was definitely yellow.  I only saw a flash view of  feet but no
yellow was seen.  It lacked the neck tufts that are typical of a Snowy.
    I am now confident it looks a much more like a Great Egret than an
implausible Snowy.  Lesson learned: I will keep  binoculars in the car
from now on.

Bob