I got around the south end of our farm this morning.  Saw some good
birds.  But surprisingly missed several commonly seen residents.
Some of the forest birds I expected were missing because of a Broad-
winged Hawk that kept me under close surveillance for a while in the
woods.

CrossHaven Farm, Moretown, Vt.  5/8/09  8-10 am
32 Species (reported on "most seen at one time basis)

Red Winged Blackbird 		7
Common Grackle			5
European Starling			4
Chipping Sparrow			1
American Goldfinch			11
Pine Siskin				2
Rock Pigeon				6
Savannah Sparrow			2
American Robin				2
Song Sparrow				1
Common Yellowthroat		1  (3 seen in total)  (foy on farm)
Mallard					1
Barn Swallow				1
Tree Swallow				6
Mourning Dove				2
Ruffed Grouse				1 (heard)
Wild Turkey				3
White-throated Sparrow		1
Oven Bird					1 (1 seen, 7 heard in different locations)
White-crowned Sparrow		1
American Crow				1
Blue Jay					1
Black-capped Chickadee		2
Broad-winged Hawk			1  (foy on farm)
Downy Woodpecker			1
Wood Duck				1  (foy on farm)
Canada Goose				1
Eastern Meadowlark			1  (foy on farm)
Brown-headed Cowbird		2
Eastern Bluebird			2
Pileated Woodpecker			1 (heard)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird	1

I also watched a bird on the wing that acted and looked very much
like a Woodcock.  It had the right size and wing shape, and flew up
and up in misshapen circles until I almost lost it -- then it dove
quickly to ground -- unfortunately a ways off from me.  It was about
8 am.  I couldn't hear anything due to distance and traffic noise.
Do they ever do this, or was I fooled by an impostor?