How about a snipe? They also do an aerial performance.

Sue Wetmore
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Sainsbury" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:46:16 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [VTBIRD] morning farm walk

I got around the south end of our farm this morning. Saw some good
birds. But surprisingly missed several commonly seen residents.
Some of the forest birds I expected were missing because of a Broad-
winged Hawk that kept me under close surveillance for a while in the
woods.

CrossHaven Farm, Moretown, Vt. 5/8/09 8-10 am
32 Species (reported on "most seen at one time basis)

Red Winged Blackbird 7
Common Grackle 5
European Starling 4
Chipping Sparrow 1
American Goldfinch 11
Pine Siskin 2
Rock Pigeon 6
Savannah Sparrow 2
American Robin 2
Song Sparrow 1
Common Yellowthroat 1 (3 seen in total) (foy on farm)
Mallard 1
Barn Swallow 1
Tree Swallow 6
Mourning Dove 2
Ruffed Grouse 1 (heard)
Wild Turkey 3
White-throated Sparrow 1
Oven Bird 1 (1 seen, 7 heard in different locations)
White-crowned Sparrow 1
American Crow 1
Blue Jay 1
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Broad-winged Hawk 1 (foy on farm)
Downy Woodpecker 1
Wood Duck 1 (foy on farm)
Canada Goose 1
Eastern Meadowlark 1 (foy on farm)
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1 (heard)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

I also watched a bird on the wing that acted and looked very much
like a Woodcock. It had the right size and wing shape, and flew up
and up in misshapen circles until I almost lost it -- then it dove
quickly to ground -- unfortunately a ways off from me. It was about
8 am. I couldn't hear anything due to distance and traffic noise.
Do they ever do this, or was I fooled by an impostor?