Kay and Rob,

There are only a couple of known locations in northeastern Vermont with
Whips, and there are certainly many fewer Whips statewide than there
used to be, based on the Breeding Bird Atlas and on countless informal
reports from folks like you. Our annual statewide Whip survey found only
16 singing males last year. A report for the survey effort for the
entire northeast can be found on the January 2, 2009 post on VCE's blog:
http://vtecostudies.blogspot.com/2008/12/nightjar-monitoring-report.html

By the way, there are routes that need volunteers this year,
particularly in West Haven, Fair Haven, and Wells. Please email me
directly if you can help out. A survey entails a couple of hours on one
night between 30 May and 15 June.

Roz Renfrew
Vermont Center for Ecostudies