But first - An amazing experience with an American Bittern on the
swamp next to Route 15 just outside of Underhill! The bird was about
10' away from us, hidden in the dead reeds until it moved. It
stretched up, extended its head and looked at us from its little,
anxious eyes. Then it started moving away slowly and carefully,
lifting each chartreuse foot way off the ground before carefully
planting it back down. Twice, it crouched as if it was going to fly
but opted instead for more creeping away.

At Crane Brook yesterday:

Nashville Warbler - right where they've nested for the last three
summers

Yellow-Rumped Warbler - many!

Black-Throated Green Warbler

Blue-Headed Vireo - two together, one carrying nesting material -
allowing us very close views as it prepared to do battle for its
chosen site

Canada Geese - nesting

Belted Kingfisher

Winter Wren

Blue Jay

Robin

American Crow

Black-Capped Chickadee

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

We bushwhacked to find the hidden pond where Great Blue Herons have
nested in the past, but the pond was completely quiet: no herons, no
ducks.

Crane Brook as in my VBBA block and was often bird-rich. Yesterday
was unusually quiet, but this is still a good resource for local
birders: diverse habitats, beautiful trails, very few people. Let me
know if anyone wants directions.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center