My mystery warbler is driving me nuts. He sings every morning, going
from tree to tree in a rough square that apparently marks his
territory. He always sings from quite high, twenty feet or more. Most
of the time, he's in deciduous trees but he might have sung from a
white pine today as well.

The beginning of the song is a buzzy rising sequence, followed by a
tumbling down noise. The first part is somewhat like a slow Parula -
but not quite - and somewhat like a Prairie Warbler - but I can't
find any description or recording that has the ending. One book
describes an Orange-Crowned Warbler's song as ending with a downward
tumble but the recordings of this bird don't sound anything like my
bird.

Would anyone like to come by some morning to listen and maybe find
the critter? This morning, it sang regularly, every few seconds, from
7:00 till when the rain chased me indoors at a few minutes before eight.

I've gotten quick glimpses four times now: a slender bird, sharp
bill, longer tail than many warblers. Today, I thought I glimpsed
darkish red or orange once but never saw any color after that so I'm
not sure of the first impression. I think it's on the large side for
warblers.

Here's an attempt at its song - very buzzy

tzee tzee tzee tzee tzee tzee Zeee oh

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center