We knew it was just a question of time, and today found an Orchard
Oriole pair nesting in Norwich. This seems to be the first record of
their nesting here.

The site is near Ledyard Bridge on the Vermont side of the river.
Specifically, where the road between Norwich and Hanover crosses over
the railroad tracks, on the south side.

Anyone wishing to see the birds should be careful not to disturb these
and other nesting species in the immediate vicinity. Today we also found
nesting Baltimore Orioles, Phoebes, Chestnut-sided Warblers, and
Redstarts quite close to the Orchard Oriole's nest, despite being fairly
close to the busy road and not-so-busy tracks. The best access is from a
park-and-ride lot on River Road (NW corner of bridge) and then walking
south on the railroad tracks. We suggest staying on the railroad track
bed, yielding to any trains.

Spencer & Doug Hardy
Norwich