Hello fellow birders.  I am new to the listserv, but not new to birding.  I live in coastal western CT and often take trips to Vermont for birding and camping.

I am heading to Silver Lake on Friday (not State Park), which is just east of Lake Dunmore near Goshen (and Forest Dale).  I was hoping some Vermontuers had some good sure-fire migrant spots in that area....or within like 30 minutes.  Last year, in the first week of June, I had a very birdy weekend at the same campground (Silver Lake Campground) and surrounding habitats.  There is a very long early successional growth powerline cut that runs through the thick woods, and both lakes nearby made for some good habitat.

From my notes:    Mourning, Black-throated Blue and Green, Parula, N. Waterthrush, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Canada, Nashville, Blackburnian, and Cape May warblers among 18 warbler species. Red-eyed, Philly, Blue-headed, Warbling, and Yellow-throated Vireos. Broad-wings, Ravens, Bald Eagle and Osprey over the lake, Ruffed Grouse, Indigo Buntings, RB and Evening Grosbeaks, Rusty Blackbirds, and both orioles.  Fox, Swamp, Song, Chipping, Savannah, White-crowned and Field Sparrows.  My 3 day total, starting on I-91 after crossing the MA/VT border, was 68 species.  I hope to beat that.

Also, I checked the archives but I didn't really get an idea of where VT (specifically southern and central) stands in regards to migration.  I know here in CT things are somewhat screwy.... already had a Mourning Warbler which should just be reaching northern Texas and other Gulf states now, and 3 or 4 Prothonotary warblers which are overshoots.  Black-throated Greens and Blues are heavy now.  Canadas are becoming more numerous and others like Blue-headed Vireo, Pine and Palm warblers, Yellow-rumps (some over winters in CT) and certain Thrushes seem to have peaked already.

Thanks for any info/feedback you can share.

-Brian Webster-

Stratford, CT

HotmailŪ has a new way to see what's up with your friends.