In May of 2006 I heard a male Hooded Warbler singing in the forest along Colchester Pond.  I began searching for him and was able to get very close to the bird.  He actually perched for awhile right in front of me.  I was not on this list back then but I thought I entered it on eBird.  Nothing showed up when I looked at the eBird map for Hooded Warblers so I must have done something wrong when I typed it in years ago.  I assumed the bird might have been blown off-course from it's migration to central NY.  Anyway, the eBird maps are great and I'm glad we have this database at our fingertips.

Travis Collingwood

Winooski

> Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:03:19 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Where are the OTHER overshooting migrants?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I want to remind everyone that eBird is a great place for planning and pondering things like Greg's list below.
>
> Take Acadian Flycatcher that Greg mentions below for example.
> If you go to eBird - View and Explore - maps. And put in Acadian Flycatcher and select June-Aug and NY,MA,NH. Then, I zoomed into the closest area of sightings to Vermont. Check it out:
> http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?speciesCodes=acafly&reportType=species&bMonth=06&bYear=2005&eMonth=07&eYear=2009&countries=US&states=US-MA&states=US-NH&states=US-NY&getLocations=states&continue.x=67&continue.y=14&continue=t
> You will see that the area closest for apparent breeders reported on eBird is around the Quabbin. Now, what about migrants? Well, to top and change dates to spring migration. I get a map that shows records again from Quabbin being the closest. Recent records, colored yellow, are only found coastaland NYC area so far.
> Check it out:
> http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=changeDate&speciesCodes=acafly&getLocations=states&states=US-MA%2CUS-NH%2CUS-NY&reportType=species&monthRadio=on&bMonth=03&eMonth=05&bYear=2005&eYear=2009&continue.x=36&continue.y=15&continue=Continue
>
> Sharing data in and sharing data out, that what eBird is all about. Check out another species yourself. But remember, don't get carried away with virtual birding and miss all the actual birds outside!
>
> Kent

Hotmail® goes with you.