I discovered several years ago a woodcock on its nest. It was located along a woodland trail that was slightly grown up. It also was a fairly moist & wet area around the area where the nest was located - no stream though - just puddles. The nest was on the ground in a hollow with some grasses lining the depression. The female did not move a muscle even though we were quite close. Apparently, once the bird is on the eggs it won't leave and people have actually touched the bird without it moving. Don't however cause the bird stress as you never know what each individual will do. I went back in a couple of weeks and found the eggs hatched. Good Luck finding a woodcock on the nest as they are really well camoflouged.

Barbara Powers

Manchester Center

> Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 11:36:13 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VTBIRD] Woodcock Nesting Inquiry
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I am interested in getting in touch with someone who has in depth knowledge
> of American Woodcock nesting in Vermont. I would like to know when eggs are
> normally laid in Vermont, and when they normally hatch. (I have read the
> details on incubation and fledging in the Birder's Handbook, but that
> information is not Vermont specific.) I would also like to know how
> sensitive females are with regard to disturbance on the nest. You may reply
> to me off list. Thanks.
>
> Jeannie

HotmailŪ has a new way to see what's up with your friends.