To: [log in to unmask]
CC: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 22:01:17 -0400
Subject: NNYBirds:  Pine Siskin breeding confirmation

           Confirmed evidence of Pine Siskin breeding during the '09 invasion

was obtained with the banding of two recently fledged young near

Elizabethtown today (3 May).  This follows the banding of over 12 hundred

adults at the same station so far this year, including another 20 siskins

banded today.

Fledglings are more difficult to identify in the field than in the

hand, unless they happen to be seen soliciting food from adults, but the

coverts have a rich buffy and rather wide edging, unlike the thin whitish

worn edges on adult birds, and much like that of fledgling American

Goldfinches seen in late summer.  Upon examination in the hand, the

primaries and underwing coverts were still in quill today, and the outer

rectrices pointed.  The breast also exhibits a pale yellowish wash,

rarely found on adults.

Increasing numbers of adult Pine Siskins now have cloacal

protuberances or brood patches, indicative of local nesting, including

returns of siskins originally banded here as sex unknown, some as far

back as January.  One female banded 11 January returned yesterday for the

7th time; by 21 April she had developed a hot brood patch, and on the

morning of 23 April she had an egg in the oviduct, for further breeding

confirmation.

Other species banded today include Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,

Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow,

(Eastern) White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco, Purple

Finch, American Goldfinch, and Evening Grosbeak.     --Mike Peterson,

Elizabethtown & Montréal

Click to learn about options trading and get the latest information.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTIzQbPe64Kt8qfgkXnldCA2515Fn2rxEf9GJDHtuOYIeHY0lSPOTm/

    __._,_.___

            Messages in this topic           (1)

            Reply           (via web post)

          Start a new topic

                Messages
            |    Files
            |    Photos
            |    Links
            |    Database
            |    Polls

            |    Calendar

          All postings to Northern_NY_Birds are protected by copyright law.

      MARKETPLACE

            I Got Fired But now make $350/day online!.

                        I'm happy I lost my Job. Now I make $12,000/mo online! See how I do it: WealthResource.org.

                        Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

        Visit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use       |

        Unsubscribe

	      		Recent Activity