New business models abound.  This is the internet, after all.

To wit:

MAD RIVER GLEN TO BUY STOWE

Parkers Gore, NH (Ski Press News) – Mad River Glen Ski Cooperative will be
buying Stowe Mountain Resort from the near-bankrupt American Insurance Group
(AIG).  Officials at the ski cooperative’s summer corporate headquarters
made the surprise announcement this morning, but revealed few details.  “Mad
River is delighted to announce that we will be returning home to Stowe,”
said spokesman Eric Freidman.  “It’s time to reclaim Vermont’s highest
mountain for the sport of skiing.”

Sources close to Mad River management described a series of immediate
changes for the vaunted ski area.  These are reported to include the
limiting of snowboarders to the spruce peak area, the replacement of the
high speed quad with a single chair, circa 1941, scrapping of most other
lifts and a large portion of the snowmaking system, sale of the grooming
fleet, and the dismantling of the new base lodge.  “Skiing is not about
having a mountain amusement park,” added Freidman, although he refused to
confirm the specifics of Mad River’s plans.  He did confirm that coop
members would be entitled to ski for free at Stowe (although they would
still have to pay for passes at Mad River), while season pass prices for
anyone who had ever previously purchased a Stowe season’s pass would be
raised immediately to the early season rate of $10,040.

In a related development, the Stark Mountain Foundation announced plans to
retrieve the ashes of Mad River and Stowe founder Roland Palmedo and
sprinkle them over the eastern flanks of Mount Mansfield.  “At long last,
this great man will have a final resting place on the slopes of the mountain
he loved,”
they said in a news release.  Plans to exhume the body of AIG founder C.V.
Starr and place him at the very back of the line for the new Mansfield
single chair could not be confirmed at press time.

On Fri, 15 May 2009 07:07:43 -0700, Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Now that I am retired I have more time to read newspapers, between ski
trips, and before going out for my daily bike ride.  Yesterday I read this
very thought provoking article.

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051303015.html
>
>The thought now occurs that maybe it is time for the ski industry to define
success down.  The business model that Jay Pesci mentions is indeed flawed.
 Perhaps the biggest flaw is building condos, hotels, real estate, directed
toward a goal on the distant horizon of having steady reliable profit.   The
past 2 decades or more show that the horizon is never reached.  Instead
following this business model puts one on an endless treadmill leading to a
deeper and deeper hole.  Much as I would love to see an MRG style Coop at
Stowe, that successful business model depends upon a fanatically loyal niche
customer base that is by its very nature too small to support an operation
the size of Stowe.  Still the thought warms my heart.