The problem with the reaction of the Somali fisherman to their loss of
livelihood is that instead of using piracy as a tactic in a political
movement aimed at getting their fishing grounds detoxed and seeking
compensation for loss of livelihood, they engage in criminal extortion.
For example, suppose that upon taking possession of a ship they demanded
as a condition for the release of the crew that a plan for
detoxification of Somali waters be worked out and that Somali fishermen
families be compensated for their losses until the fish return.  There
is no question that the root cause is the abuse by foreign ships
described.  But the problem is described in the article:

    fishermen bought guns and set out to exact informal taxes on the foreign owners of illegal trawlers. The kidnapping business proved lucrative, with ransoms of hundreds of thousands of dollars regularly paid out - and any noble motives were soon forgotten

Unfortunately they gave up the moral high ground.

Of course every progressive should have sympathy for their plight and
should do all possible to increase general awareness of the original
real pirates and put pressure on their governments to hold them
accountable.  Recall "two wrongs don't make a right."

The question whether or not the political tactic of holding commercial
ships hostage occurs in international waters or not, is only relevant to
the punishment to be expected if caught.  That is hardly the issue when
desperate persons do desperate things.
herb