I raised the issue of whether the hijacked ships are in international or Somali waters because it goes to the question of how direct a connection there is between the legitimate grievances of the Somali people and the actions of the pirates. If a ship is just passing by in international waters, sometimes hundreds of miles offshore, then the connection is pretty weak unless one wants to argue that any attack on a ship owned and operated by capitalists is legitimate. Taken to extremes, this would be similar logic to thinking that the attack on the World Trade Center was not so bad because the people killed were "little Eichmanns," in Ward Churchill's elegant phrasing. I suppose that the working class seamen whose lives are endangered by the pirates could be considered tools of the capitalist class too, although I think most here would be able to sympathize with them.

I am encouraged by Herb's acknowledgement that the pirates are criminals, because all too often leftists fall for the logic "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." We have seen that with the Somali pirate issue. This is the logic of weak and hapless leftists who look to others, anyone, to do their work for them.

As for mart's comments, his gratuitous mention of my BU affiliation constitutes a personal reference, and in this case a personal attack, about which our moderator should take note. Our moderator should also admonish me for the following personal attack on mart, which is that he is this list's leading bullshitter although at times he provides a little bit of entertainment.

MB