I've ridden the TGV three times. The first time, in what seemed the
middle of nowhere, the train ground to a halt. Then it backed up a bit
and stood still for about half an hour. It was a labor action, it
turned out — striking postal workers (if I remember correctly)
threatening to drop rocks on the track from an overpass if some demand
was not met. Perhaps high speed rail in the US will also give new
power to labor? (I guess I should add that eventually buses full of
gendarmes showed up and arrested the workers on the overpass. )

Best,
Michael