Who is "promoting" behavioral ecology? Not me, certainly, all I did was say
that Begley had referred to that field in her piece.

It would not be correct to say that Science has "promoted" either
evolutionary psychology or behavioral genetics, although the journal has
written about these subjects occasionally and there are a couple of
reporters who are interested in them. We have also written about when they
don't work out in several recent articles including the blog I just did on
the Begley article and a story in today's issue on psychiatric genetics:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/324/5935/1628?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=Holden%2CC&andorexacttitle=or&andorexacttitleabs=or&andorexactfulltext=or&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&fdate=//&tdate=//&resourcetype=HWCIT,HWELTR

Why don't we stick to the issues instead of engaging in the guilt by
association logic that I thought we had got past on this list.

MB

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM, mart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> its nice you are promoting beahvioral ecology, but don't forget science mag
> has been one of the major formats for promoting evolutionary psychology and
> behavior genetics.   (i can only think of a few right now, but its in
> there.)   also, i did correct myself after reading past the first paragraph.
> (even chagnon was in science, promoting the idea that brazilian indigenous
> people did exactly as is promoted from unm, but a re-analyses of the data
> sugeested there was measurment bias.)  Keep going.

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
Boston University