Jon,

I don't want to split hairs with you, but two quick points:

1. I was referring more to Science's news coverage in my exchange with mart. I do not think that we "promote" these fields even if the coverage could at times be more skeptical; that is a big difference, the word "promote" is really loaded and not accurate in my view. And often, as in the microcephalin case and the psychiatric genetics story in today's issue that I linked to, we are the first or among the first to shoot down our own papers. We should be given some credit for that; the great majority of Science reporters are politically progressive and not shills for social Darwinism. Why was my critique of Bruce Lahn's work given 3 pages in Science if the editors are ruling class stooges?

2. I don't think that the occasional publication of these papers amounts to "promotion" either, even if one could take issue with the peer review of some of them.

It seems that some in the progressive science community would not be happy unless anything suggesting a biological basis for human behavior is denied publication, on the grounds that any evidence for such viewpoints is automatically suspect and politically motivated (I am not chararcterizing Jon that way, but some others.) We occasionally see dismissal of such papers on this list without a careful examination of them, and the assumption is that anyone who pursues these lines of research is a paid up stoolie for the ruling class. Life is more complex than that, and human behavior is an exquisite blend of both cultural and biological factors. To deny either side of this equation is absurd, even as we debate the relative contributions and interactions of biology and culture.

MB