Sounds more like a conflict between the USB adapter and the wireless
access point.

Some things to look at might be:
IPv6 settings on Vista:
http://www.uvm.edu/~gcd/?p=52 <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Egcd/?p=52>
Disabling IPv6 might simplify networking on this system, although it
seems unlikely that your client is attempting to use ipv6.  Still, IPv6
has been known to cause problems with Cisco VPN connections.

MTU settings:
Enable Path MTU (Black-hole router detection):
http://www.windowsreference.com/networking/enabledisable-path-mtu-pmtu-blackhole-router-detection-in-windows/
Or you could just set your MTU to an arbitrary small value:
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/how-to-manually-set-the-mtu-size-in-windows-xp-2003-2000-vista/

Also, I would have look for wireless adapter driver updates, and
firmware updates for the wireless access points.

-Greg Mackinnon