Okay, tomorrow may just be a really really bad day for everyone.  Just
fair warning.

I've had two reports of machines freezing up with a busy cursor, one
Vista SP2, ESET NOD32 version 4 and one Windows XP SP2, ESET NOD32
version 3.

On the Vista machine a "failure - security options: Login process has
failed to create the security options dialog" would appear.

On the XP machine, Windows Explorer simply freezes and no keystrokes
get a response, including the venerable control-alt-del.

On the Vista machine I discovered that KB972260 had just been
installed.  When I removed that KB AND removed ESET NOD32, the problem
went away.  If I tried to run the machine after just removing the KB,
the problem remained.

I confirmed that this was also the case on the Windows XP machine as
well.

KB97260 appears to be a critical out of band update released to
rectify some serious security flaws in Internet Explorer and is an
update for all flavors of Windows currently supported and all flavors
of IE.

And, just to set my evening to "extra crispy" when I returned to my
office my own Vista desktop was waving it's "Failure - Security
Options" freaky flag.  ;-)

So far the only thing that appears to work is to either remove the KB
and ESET, or remove both, block the KB in Windows Update and reinstall
ESET.

Perhaps we could block this particular KB at the update server until
ESET gets this cleared up?

I don't think that this is just a bad ESET definition file, because
the machine runs fine with the KB removed and blocked but ESET
installed.

Andrew Hendrickson
CAS, IT Administrator
UVM, College of Arts & Sciences