	The senior Green party MP said in a public mtg this y that no
progress has been achieved in persuading the non-Green MPs of this
truth.  I fear she is right.

RM

  Nature can't take unrestrained growth: Prince Charles

Reuters  July 8, 2009

By Peter Griffiths

LONDON (Reuters) - The quest for unlimited economic growth is
unsustainable and could bankrupt the environment through climate
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/topic.cfm?id=climate> change and
depleted natural resources, Britain's Prince Charles said on
Wednesday.
	Charles, next-in-line to succeed Queen Elizabeth, said a new
economic model must be found because the Earth can no longer support
the demands of a growing "consumerist society" where growth is an end
in itself.
	People must realize they are not "the masters of creation,"
rather just one part of a fragile natural world, he added.
	"Just as our banking sector is struggling with its debts...
so Nature's life-support systems are failing to cope with the debts
we have built up there too," Charles said at a BBC lecture at St
James's Palace in central London.
	"If we don't face up to this, then Nature, the biggest bank
of all, could go bust.
	"That is the challenge we face, it seems to me -- to see
Nature's capital and her processes as the very basis of a new form of
economics."
	Charles, the former husband of the late Princess Diana, has
long campaigned on the environment.
	His own farm went organic in the 1980s, he publishes details
of his estate's annual carbon emissions and has developed a
sustainable village in western England called Poundbury.
	"Our ability to adapt to the effects of climate
change...depends on us adapting our pursuit of unlimited economic
growth to that of sustainable growth," he said.
	While conceding that industrialization had brought benefits
such as better education, prosperity and higher life expectancy, the
future king said that progress had come at a price.
	Consumption has grown so much in the last 30 years that
demands on natural resources now exceed the planet's capacity for
renewal by a quarter each year, he added.
	By 2050, the world's population will swell to about 9 billion
people, from the current 3.3 billion, and a higher proportion will
expect Western levels of consumption.
	Modern farming methods that use fertilizers and pesticides
that have helped feed a growing population have taken a "huge and
unsustainable" toll on ecosystems, he added.
	"Our current model of progress was not designed of course to
create all this destruction," Charles said. "However, given the
overwhelming evidence from so many quarters, we have to ask ourselves
if it any longer makes sense or whether it is actually fit for
purpose."
	Economic growth has failed to end poverty, stress, ill health
and social tensions, he added.  A reformed economy must give more
weight to the environment and local communities.

						(Editing by Matthew Jones)