How about a tax collector's viewpoint?

The Town of Weathersfield and Village of Perkinsville both have
adopted and published policies stating that overpayments less than
$5.00 shall be 'written off' unless otherwise requested.  The same
policy also 'writes off' unpaid taxes of less than $5.00.  In the
past 10 years, those have tended to balance each other off.

For overpayments in excess of $5.00, the Town writes the taxpayer a
refund check, unless they specifically request that the overpayment
be carried over to the next year [we have several who do that because
they are on weekly payroll deductions, or similar
withholdings].  Underpayments are in excess of $5.00 are handled as
regular delinquent taxes.

At 09:48 AM 8/25/2009, you wrote:
>What a good question.  I have often wondered the same.  I'll be
>interested to hear what other treasurers do.
>Kathy B.
>Wells
>

>----------

Larry J. Melen, Weathersfield Town Manager
Telephone: [802] 674-2626
Fascimile: [802] 674-2117
Website: http://www.weathersfield.org

NOTICE:

THIS TRANSMITTAL IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF AND BY THE
INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED.  IT MAY CONTAIN
INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, OR EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

IF THE READER OF THIS TRANSMITTAL IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR
THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE TRANSMITTAL TO
THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THIS
OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.