How about a tax collector's viewpoint?

The Town of Weathersfield and Village of Perkinsville both have adopted and published policies stating that overpayments less than $5.00 shall be 'written off' unless otherwise requested.  The same policy also 'writes off' unpaid taxes of less than $5.00.  In the past 10 years, those have tended to balance each other off.

For overpayments in excess of $5.00, the Town writes the taxpayer a refund check, unless they specifically request that the overpayment be carried over to the next year [we have several who do that because they are on weekly payroll deductions, or similar withholdings].  Underpayments are in excess of $5.00 are handled as regular delinquent taxes.

At 09:48 AM 8/25/2009, you wrote:
What a good question.  I have often wondered the same.  Iíll be interested to hear what other treasurers do.
Kathy B.
Wells

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Deutl, Moretown Treasurer
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Payments to delinquent taxpayers

Does anyone have a policy concerning payment of funds (i.e. employees or subcontractors) to delinquent taxpayers? Voters are concerned that the Selectboard is paying people to work for the town who also have a delinquent tax bill due.  I'm wondering if it would be 'legal' to withhold an amount from the employee's or subcontractor's payment in lieu of delinquent taxes owed.

Thanks,
Amy

Treasurer
Town of Moretown
P.O. Box 666
Moretown, VT  05660
Phone: 802-496-3645 Ext. 2
Fax: 802-329-2200

Larry J. Melen, Weathersfield Town Manager
Telephone: [802] 674-2626
Fascimile: [802] 674-2117
Website: http://www.weathersfield.org

NOTICE:

THIS TRANSMITTAL IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF AND BY THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED.  IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

IF THE READER OF THIS TRANSMITTAL IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE TRANSMITTAL TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THIS OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.