In my town we often don't get many bids and have to hire anyone who will respond.  I might ask the contractor if he would like me to apply his payment directly to his delinquent tax account.  I did once deduct the amount of a bounced check from the amount that I paid a contractor.  He didn't complain.  I suspect he didn't know that his wife had bounced the check.  It was for dog licenses, though, not for taxes.


At 08:42 AM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
Maybe my question should have been "Does it seem unusual and/or irresponsible for a town to hire and pay contractors/subcontractors who are delinquent with their property taxes without requesting upfront that all or a portion of their payments be used toward their delinquent tax?"
----- Original Message -----
From: katharine bergen
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Payments to delinquent taxpayers

What a good question.  I have often wondered the same.  Iíll be interested to hear what other treasurers do.
Kathy B.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Deutl, Moretown Treasurer
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Payments to delinquent taxpayers
Does anyone have a policy concerning payment of funds (i.e. employees or subcontractors) to delinquent taxpayers? Voters are concerned that the Selectboard is paying people to work for the town who also have a delinquent tax bill due.  I'm wondering if it would be 'legal' to withhold an amount from the employee's or subcontractor's payment in lieu of delinquent taxes owed.
Town of Moretown
P.O. Box 666
Moretown, VT  05660
Phone: 802-496-3645 Ext. 2
Fax: 802-329-2200

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3305
[log in to unmask]