Just another quick bit of information.


I had emailed with Cindy Hooley, the Vital Statistics Information Manager at
the Dept. of Health - she tells me the following:


"At this point, we are still instructing clerks to enter the 60 day range
(according to statute) no matter which license they are issuing, but also
asking them to inform the couple about the changes in law and to provide the
appropriate form based on when they will be marrying."


Maybe this will save you a phone call.?  Thanks!  Penny, NEMRC


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bennington Town Clerk's Office
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: marriage lic


There are a lot of "what-ifs" during this transition.  What if two women
come in today to apply for a Civil Marriage to be performed on September 15
and then they decide to do it on August 29th instead?  If they come in
today, I am going to give it to them and technically it is valid today.
Should I be typing the dates valid only September 1 through whenever 60 days
from actual date of issue is?  


Also, the same is said for people who came in last week prior to having the
new forms.  I issued marriage licenses for September last week and am not
going to track down these people and their out-of-state minister after the
fact to do a whole new license form.  


Hopefully the Department of Health is taking this all into consideration and
will be flexible with these scenarios.


Cassandra J. Barbeau 
Assistant Town Clerk 
Bennington, VT  05201 
(802) 442-1043 
mailto:[log in to unmask] 

find us on the web at 


-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of stamfdvt
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: marriage lic

Hi Lyndon Town Clerk.  Did you ever get an answer to your question of June
18 to Rich McCoy regarding the new license?    Is the new license  for
"civil marriage" (that we just received) going to replace the civil union
AND the traditional marriage license?  One form fits all?  Thanks,  Nancy