This is just a guess, but I would think that the owner of record, regardless of when they bought the property, could request an abatement related to the period of time when they actually own the property, but I could be horribly wrong!


Carol D


Carolyn S. Dawes

Barre City Clerk/Treasurer

Barre City Hall

6 N. Main St., Suite 6

PO Box 418

Barre, VT  05641

(802) 476-0242

(802) 476-0264 fax


-----Original Message-----
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lyndon Town Clerk
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tax Abatement


Can the purchaser of property request a tax abatement on property they purchased after April 1st, or does the owner of record as of April 1st need to request the tax abatement?  New owner is tearing down a building and is seeking a tax abatement but can they since their name is not on the tax bill?



Lisa in Lyndon