From: Barrett, Wendy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:39 PM
To: BGS - Flag
Cc: Barrett, Wendy
Subject: Flag Notification - SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY

Date Issued:  August 26, 2009

N O T I C E

Flags to be Lowered to Half Staff

Per Federal Code P.L. 94-344 and Presidential Proclamation and

Per order of the Governor James H. Douglas

Where the flag will be lowered

All State facilities and public buildings and grounds around the state

Which flag(s) will be lowered

          The U.S flag, Vermont State flag, POW flags, and any other flags *

Date the flag is to be lowered:

          Effective immediately, Wednesday August 26, 2009

Date flag is to return to full staff:

          At sunset, on Sunday, August 30, 2009 **

Reason to lower flag(s):

            DEATH OF SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY
As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, and per Federal Code P.L. 94-344 and Presidential Proclamation, I have ordered all United States and Vermont flags be lowered to half-staff, effective immediately until sunset on August 30, 2009.
*        I also direct that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff until sunset on the day of his interment per Federal Code P.L. 94-344 and Presidential Proclamation.

          **      Please note all flags must fly at half-staff for that period of time.  Rule:

When the U.S. flag is lowered, the Vermont flag, the POW flag, and any other flag must also be lowered, because the U.S. flag must always fly above or equal to any other flags that are flown.

Notice sent by:         Wendy L. Barrett
Office of the Commissioner
Buildings & General Services
802-828-3519