Hi all – here’s an answer from Katie. Susie

From: Catherine Sherman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:13 AM
To: 'Susie Haughwout'
Subject: RE: TAP - Retention question

Hi Susie,

Thanks for the heads up.  I normally monitor the listserv, but for some reason neither Nora’s question or the responses to it came through on my email.

I actually spoke with Nora this week, and was unable to find any orders or legal citations allowing her to destroy these records.  Pursuant to 1 V.S.A. 317a, no public records can be destroyed without an authorization from our office; since I couldn’t find an existing authorization, she must keep them.  It sounds like I may not have made that clear, so I will get back in touch with her.  You’re right that this will get covered by the TAP project.  I keep a laundry list of records about which I get questions, so this will definitely go on it.

Thanks!

Katie

Katie Sherman
Records Analyst
Vermont State Archives and Records Administration
1078 Route 2, Middlesex
Montpelier, VT 05633-7701

(tel) 802-828-2204
(fax) 802-828-3710