We received a call from a gentleman from Washington State that is coming to
Vermont in September to get married at his mother’s residence in Cabot.  We
can only assume by his responses that they are seeking a civil marriage, but
we’re not certain.  


Page 4-1 (Sec. E) of the new marriage registration instruction booklet
pointed out specific laws/regulations applicable to non-residents applying
for a Vermont marriage license and states:

“A non-resident couple who does not intend to reside in Vermont after their
wedding may not marry in Vermont to avoid laws of their own state.  15
V.S.A. § 6.”


Washington State does have a domestic partnership law, but it isn’t the same
as a civil marriage. 


So, if they’re coming to Vermont to get a civil marriage, which WA doesn’t
offer, and they don’t intend to stay in Vermont afterward, do we issue the
license?  I would think not, but that’s only if we’re sure of their intent….


Lemme know your thoughts!