I went through this whole issue last year, we ended up just putting all board members on as regular employees and they have all the taxes taken directly out.  You might find some other threads on here regarding this issue if you do a search in the archives.  If they are issued 10-99's, they must meet the criteria set forth by the IRS.

Jennifer Hanlon
UTG Supervisor
www.utg-vt.org