Select persons are employees not sub-contractors.  They are elected officials.  Therefore you must withhold payroll taxes (at least social security & medicare) from their wages.

Roberta Dana
Town Treasurer & Tax Collector
Groton, VT
[log in to unmask]
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Town of Fairfield 
  To: [log in to unmask] 
  Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:23 AM
  Subject: Board Stipends

  Can you give me an idea of how many towns have board members on as employees and have taxes/SS taken directly out of stipends or how many just issue 1099s.  Is there a correct way or will either do?


  As usual, thanks for the information!


  Amanda Forbes, Town Clerk/Treasurer

  Town of Fairfield

  P.O. Box 5 

  Fairfield, VT 05455

  (802) 827-3261

  Fax (802) 827-3653