Just my two cents….

When folks come in to get WHATEVER license they are looking for, try your best to find out from them when they are planning on having the ceremony.  Explain to them why the concern – you want to make sure to issue them the correct license.  Explain to them the situation you’re in right now – three licenses, want to make sure they get the right one, etc…after that, you can only do the best you can…

An opinion from the Department of Health would be a great idea – have you forwarded your concerns to them?  Might be well worth your time…

Thanks!  Penny, NEMRC

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bennington Town Clerk's Office
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: marriage lic

There are a lot of "what-ifs" during this transition.  What if two women come in today to apply for a Civil Marriage to be performed on September 15 and then they decide to do it on August 29th instead?  If they come in today, I am going to give it to them and technically it is valid today.  Should I be typing the dates valid only September 1 through whenever 60 days from actual date of issue is?

Also, the same is said for people who came in last week prior to having the new forms.  I issued marriage licenses for September last week and am not going to track down these people and their out-of-state minister after the fact to do a whole new license form.

Hopefully the Department of Health is taking this all into consideration and will be flexible with these scenarios.

Cassandra J. Barbeau
Assistant Town Clerk
Bennington, VT  05201
(802) 442-1043