If you have a Mac server running Leopard, you can set up accounts with wikis and blogs (enabled separately from email). I've used these wikis just a bit.

steve

On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:03 AM, SCHOOL-IT automatic digest system wrote:

From: Joanne Finnegan <[log in to unmask]>

Date: August 5, 2009 3:00:19 PM EDT

Subject: blog, wiki without student e-mail

Help!  I have 3 teachers who would like to create blogs that students can participate in, but don't want to deal with student e-mail, even the fake ones. Preferable would be a way to enter student usernames and passwords if necessary.

Blogmeister would have worked, but rumor is that David Warlick is not maintaining it.  Edublogs won't let us do what we want without subscribing/paying. A lot of other more "private" sites are now requiring payment.

Any suggestions for either a wiki site or blog site that would allow a teacher to input the names of students who are allowed to comment/post, not have to have any type of e-mail addresses (not even fake - we tried the gmail thing with linked e-mail), and still allow some type of parent access/viewing would be really helpful.  This is for grades K - 4.

Thanks!

Joanne