The administration at SBSD decided to go with a company called
SchoolFusion for its web services.  The intent is to improve consistency
across the various school websites, to make web publishing easier for
people who lack web design experience and to make it easier for the
district to offer and support more advanced web technologies, such as
calendars and RSS feeds. SchoolFusion also offers some of the features
of a Learning Management System for those teachers who don't want a
full-fledged online presence through our Moodle server.

Our teaching and support staff are currently in the process of
recreating our websites on the SchoolFusion server, which offers all the
strengths and weaknesses of web design using an off-site content
management system. Thus far, feedback has been positive, especially from
non-designers who just want to get content out there, which includes the
vast majority of the staff.  It would be convenient to pay someone else
to do this, but that wouldn't give us as effective an opportunity to
update the information as we go and for people who will be responsible
for updating the site to gain experience.  If you're not in a huge
hurry, I think this is the best way to go.

Thus far, I haven't seen anything in any of these services that you
couldn't do through other CMSs, such as Joomla or Drupal, but it saves
you the overhead of having to create and support the services locally.
My hat's off to people who will do it themselves and save their
districts some dough, but I'm also happy to have given up that
responsibility years ago!

Steve Barner
South Burlington High School