At 03:53 PM 8/21/2009, you wrote:
>An interesting comparison between homegrown talent may be found here:
>
><http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/21/harvest_boon/>http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/21/harvest_boon/
>
>And don't forget that the veteran core of the team--Mariano Rivera,
>Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, and Andy Petite--are all homegrown, too.
>
>In other words, money does not buy championships, but it does permit
>a team to hold on to talent.

Largely agree, although it's worth noting that the Yanks have bought
more high-priced free agents than anyone else.  That said,  I'm
really glad that the Yanks have apparently placed more emphasis on
developing from within of late.  It makes things a lot more fun.  The
Sox have had an excellent farm system for some time now and it really
has paid off (even to the point of producing some stunning talent for
use in trades - Hanley Ramirez comes to mind).  Not all of it pans
out, of course (Craig Hansen comes to mind on THAT one) but when you
look at people like Pedroia, Papelbon, Lester, Ellsbury and Buchholz,
well, it sure is fun - to say nothing of building fan loyalty because
we folks who live in the cheap seats can see these kids on their way up.

Seems to me that it makes for baseball that's just a little more pure.