On a somewhat serious note:

(1) I've lived in Germany. I've used both public and private health
insurance. Both worked fine. Germany is a civilized country. They seem to be
getting by.

(2) I have a French spouse and in-laws. They mix of private and public
health insurance has worked for them. France is a civilized country. They
seem to be getting by.

(3) My parents have had to use French and German hospitals and doctors as
tourists and had no problems. See comments above re: civilized and getting
by.

(4) I have close friends who are Canadian. They love the fact that they can
just walk into any doctor's office and get treatment for being sick without
even needing any form of ID, much less insurance card. Canada is a civilized
country, at least some of it. They seem to be getting by.

(5) I have close friends who are British. They love their National Health
Service (so does Stephen Hawking, BTW). Great Britain is a civilized
kingdom. They seem to be getting by.

(6) I and my spouse live in the U.S.A. We have private insurance. Some of
which has been good. Some of which has tried to misapply and deny their own
policies. Is the U.S.A. civilized? It seems to be getting by.

On a somewhat humorous note:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/the-funniest-signs-from-t_n_260838.html

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Sharon Lives <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Wondering why there has not been any discussion on health care reform on
> the skivt-L. Just wondering what the sentiments of this forum are on this
> subject, or is it just way too off topic.
>
> But to inject a little relevance, aren't most ski area positions without
> health
> insurance?
>
> Will health care reform benefit skiers?
>
> Would love to hear what y'all think on that, ski bums and non-bums alike.

caveat lector