On a somewhat serious note:

(1) I've lived in Germany. I've used both public and private health insurance. Both worked fine. Germany is a civilized country. They seem to be getting by.

(2) I have a French spouse and in-laws. They mix of private and public health insurance has worked for them. France is a civilized country. They seem to be getting by.

(3) My parents have had to use French and German hospitals and doctors as tourists and had no problems. See comments above re: civilized and getting by.

(4) I have close friends who are Canadian. They love the fact that they can just walk into any doctor's office and get treatment for being sick without even needing any form of ID, much less insurance card. Canada is a civilized country, at least some of it. They seem to be getting by.

(5) I have close friends who are British. They love their National Health Service (so does Stephen Hawking, BTW). Great Britain is a civilized kingdom. They seem to be getting by.

(6) I and my spouse live in the U.S.A. We have private insurance. Some of which has been good. Some of which has tried to misapply and deny their own policies. Is the U.S.A. civilized? It seems to be getting by.

On a somewhat humorous note:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/the-funniest-signs-from-t_n_260838.html