On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Michael Evan Karpeles
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Leif and Chris, good work with that GPS tracking insight. I thought of a
> cool scheme today to hack out cheap phone data plans... We get one unlimited
> plan and 5 or so plans that have "favorite 5" (call 5 people for free). Each
> of the phones we get will have our UNLIMITED plan as a favorited user... The
> phones will forward messages to the unlimited plan and the unlimited plan
> will relay the message to our server.

That's a cool hack, but it sounds like the relaying would increase
latency and errors. If our server received SMS instead of email,
couldn't we cut out the middleman and just add the server's number to
the phones' favorites? I just found out that Tropo.com can apparently
receive SMS (blog post here: http://tinyurl.com/nefdbb), so we might
want to look into using it. I haven't found any examples or docs yet,
but I'll see if I can get it to work and report if I get anywhere.

Leif