On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Jacob Beauregard wrote:

> It wasn't really my intention to split hairs, but rather to expand
> upon something that had been said. Pidgin can run on Mac as long as
> the Mac is running an X Server. They actually are supported by some
> kind of bundle called Fink, which uses X. I think Mac users would
> appreciate knowing that although there is a lot of open source
> software that isn't supported on OS/X, there is open source software
> that is supported on OS/X (Firefox, any open-source Java app, many
> command line utilities), and even some open source software that's
> exclusively supported for OS/X (e.g. Adium).

Well, to clarify, OS X includes an X Server, and Fink is a collection
of ports of Unix open source software to OS X.  The point of Fink is
to get open source software compiled on OS X.  Basically they just
patch the software.  FreeBSD also does this with its "ports" system.
Anyway, there really is no shortage of supported open source software
on OS X.

That said, an application that needs X doesn't integrate well with the
Mac UI.  I would point Mac Users to Open Source Mac, <http://www.opensourcemac.org/